Paua Wind Sculpture
We call this one The Wind Paua. We think of the Paua as Aotearoa’s iconic shell, but they are found in many other places under the name of abalone. Probably the best ones are here though, eh ?
How it is made
- A friend who dives supplies us with shells and after we clean them, each shell is brushed with a UV resistant clear coating. This helps to keep the shells fresh looking and we recommend you re-coat every couple of years to keep them looking good. The outside of the shell we keep natural to contrast the shining and matt surfaces as it spins.
- The hubs are carved individually to fit each shell, then firmly attached. We hand paint the hub to match each shell.
- The diameter of the Wind Paua is approx. 40cms, this does vary as the shells are made by nature!
- We have been hand crafting our wind sculptures for over 25 years and know they stand the test of time – even here in Wellington! If you need any revamps to your wind sculpture just let us know and we can assess it.
How to display
- We supply the stainless-steel rod and screws. Just make sure the stand is accurately vertical and slot the Wind Paua on. Easy!
- It adds a lovely touch to a coastal garden and looks great seen from above as it has the appearance of a spinning flower.
- It can be packed for easy postage. We will even gift wrap and send directly if you are sending as a gift.